Monday, September 13, 2010

The significance of the black scarf:

Two pitchers of sangria with peach shnapps later, and the scarf was gone. Nobody knew how, and nobody knew where. My first instinct was to blame the cat. Yes, as I laid eyes on (insert cat’s name here) I instantly knew it was up to no good- or rather, up to its old familiar cheeky ways. Cats- they’re so damn sneaky. But alas, I could not blame the cat. I mean, after all, scarves don’t just disappear into thin air……Or do they? I should have been more upset at the time than I was, for realising that I had just lost my go-to scarf. I mean, EVERY girl has their go-to scarf, and mine was now missing! Now it could have been the alcohol’s doing at the time, but I felt very comforted in knowing that my scarf was gone and out of site from 10 searching girls in a square apartment. And here’s why… Everyone who knows me knows I’m a true romantic<3. And in the precise moment while I was coming up for air after having searched awkwardly for 7 minutes under Raessa’s bed, I somehow managed to conjure up a poetic metaphor for this scarf’s disappearance. I’d like to think my ever-so chic black-on-black scarf had a life of its own. A free spirit if you will. I imagined that one day it decided it no longer wanted to be wrapped around the neck of a gorgeous 24-year old Filipina. And instead, it wanted to run free and experience the world. So on that very clear and crisp night of said gorgeous 24-year old Filipina’s farewell party, it decided to do just go ahead and do so! So it picked itself up, creeped over to the balcony and whisked itself over the railing; adrift the Toronto skyline, floating towards a new life and a new beginning. Now, of course, the next day while sober and go-to-scarfless, I was pissed as hell!!! But at the time, it was nice, to believe that in some ways, I was that scarf! HAHAHAH CHEESE RIGHT?!?!? I know but seriously!! I totally agreed that yes, parting from a familiar and comforting piece is just like a new beginning for me.. I had to let it go, and move on. Scared as I was, 2 weeks later, I packed up as much of my things as possible, and headed west for what is to be a new beginning for me in Calgary. 3 suitcases, 2 dufflebags, 1 carry-on, and 0 black scarves later, here I am, sitting in a room full of white people and Asians, in the University of Calgary Library. LOL. Thinking, damn, its cold, LOL, I could really use a scarf.…….. :-P but you know what, here I have just an equally great white with black embroidered scarf, that has served equal amounts of purpose in keeping me just as warm as the blank one, and you know what, now I’m thinking, okay, things are gonna be okay, things are gonna be just great =)

1 comment:

  1. "...and when i leaned over to kiss the water, i realized... it was me..."

    GREAT FIRST POST!!!!!! love it but you fail to mention the villain in this... the charmonster

    my bads yo... twas i who oppressed the scarf and when my back was turned for a brief moment lost in the scent of wine and fruit, it slipped away towards the singing winds of freedom.... and possibly the freezing swells of lake ontario.

    bravo scarf. bravo.

    ReplyDelete